Kanawha County Public Library
Main Branch Addition and Renovation - Charleston, WV
Type: Addition & Renovation
Size:76,700 sq. ft.
Services: Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and technology
To improve functionality and accessibility, the 55,102 sq. ft. original limestone structure, built in 1911, was renovated and 2 modern wings totaling 21,600 sq. ft. were added to the south and west sides. The original building houses public floor space, classrooms, conference rooms, offices, restrooms, an IT room, and a kitchenette. The two wing additions house offices and public floor space.
In the existing building, all mechanical components, piping, ductwork, controls, and fire suppression components were demolished or abandoned in place, with the exception of the two existing condensing boilers, and the fire service entrance. The demolished systems were replaced with new. Direct digital controls were provided for all new HVAC equipment.
The lighting design utilized a variety of highly efficient LED lighting fixtures to create a brightly lit, inviting atmosphere. Fixtures were chosen to complement the size and scale of the spaces. Exterior lighting was provided to highlight the building’s classic architecture. A new digital lighting control system was designed to provide dimming controls and time schedule functions for flexible user control.
The technology cabling infrastructure design included fitting-out a server room, and three telecom rooms with plywood backboard, wire ladder pathways, equipment racking, wire management, and telecommunications bonding busbars. Wireless access point outlets were provided for complete Wi-Fi coverage and connected with CAT6A cabling.